Sunday, September 18, 2011

Essentials for Culture

Just found this interesting as I'm reading for a grant:


  • Intense focus on school culture
  • Students are comfortable talking with adults about academic and personal issues
  • Verbal and written reflection shared among staff members
  • Rituals (e.g. new student orientation; International Night; alumni reunions; etc.)
  • Pick Me Ups (formal time to start each day as a community)
  • A focus on professional development/life-long learning for staff members
  • Inter-grade & across-grade student groupings
  • Democratic governance
  • Student leadership
  • Respect and caring
  • Diversity recognized and celebrated
  • Clear policies and expectations for behavior
  • Emphasis on reflection
  • High attendance rate
  • High graduation rate
  • High college acceptance rate
  • Low dropout rate
  • Fun!

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading through this list I realized that these are things that we are striving for already. I'd like to do some reading on the "pick me ups". The "circle time" in Texas was something like a common communal-type thing where students would lead the whole school and they could talk about different topics. It was also a time when students could apologize for a major offense they had committed. The students had the power to either accept or deny the apology. Talk about student empowerment! I hope we can develop something like this at North Marion in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.