Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What's wrong with the rubric?

Last week at our meeting after school with Freshman IZ teachers and administrators, we talked about our (somewhat failed) use of rubrics in the classroom. I haven't understood why the students don't make better use of the rubric as a guide to complete their final product. Kristin said something that shed better light on the topic for me: "They understand that we use it as a grading form, but they don't understand that it's their instructions."
So, how do we bridge this gap for them? Tomorrow we're going to try a "Fakebook" activity in which students will be creating a "Fakebook" page (info, posts, comments) as characters from the Giver and leaders of the Persian and Chinese Empires. We've structured the rubric more like a checklist in hopes of their going step by step through them.
We'll see if this slight change makes a difference! I can't wait to meet with Matt this week and get help!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Teams A & B! I think you are on the right track. Becoming a PBL teacher is (apparently) the same developmental process as learning to PBL as a student. You all are in somewhat parallel learning situations. I think maybe the "team" approach you all started with the students early in the year would serve you all well. You will know so much more when you start out next year!!!! I am thankful for your leadership.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.