If someone had told me two years ago that it was possible for my freshmen to work in self-directed teams and be productive and only a handful would be off-task, I'd have laughed in disbelief. That was the case this Friday in our English/World History classroom. I didn't think much of it as our students worked with each other, dividing tasks among their teams, researching with the internet, textbooks, and other print resources. It was only that evening when I compared this group-work experience to any other project I'd tried in my traditional classroom that I realized how far we have come.
Looking back to our PBLs in September, I remember that our students needed us much more (to help brainstorm, divide the responsibilities, keep them focused, research, and coach them along with their final products). Although we still have to re-direct a handful of them to focus on the task at hand, our roles are evolving to less of the "micro-managing" and more to challenging them to go further with their ideas through questioning.
How did we get here? Through their previous team-work experiences, I think our students have learned that they will be held accountable for their work and that they will not be given extra time when they didn't use class time efficiently. It took those prior experiences, many of which weren't pretty and make me cringe to think about, to get them to this more focused and independent level.
Now the question is what do we focus on improving next?
Excellent moment to look back and compare/measure progress! Even better final question - what do you want to focus on next?
ReplyDeleteMatt, that was my exact thought--I was just too braindead to tackle it this Saturday morning! Now it's Tuesday, so I have no excuse! Something that pops into my head, is to continue to focus/improve upon the editing/practice process. This really comes into play during the planning phase to make sure that we build in "check ups" into the calendar. Any other ideas?
ReplyDeleteFocused freshmen on a Friday afternoon?!? An even bigger miracle!
ReplyDeleteSounds like Rome is a hit!! It's most likey your soldier outside of your door =) Glad to hear things are going so great!!!!
ReplyDelete