One theme among ALL the students who answered was that when I give notes I am hard to follow . So I am trying to be a more organized note-giver.
One student described the classroom environment in this way: "Her classroom is comfortable and most of the time, clean, until her students start or are in the middle of a lab. That alone helps students feel more at home."
Many students felt as though the classroom environment was a selling point for taking AP Chem:
"The environment is very comfortable... everyone acts as adults and are very willing to learn. Becaue of the way we act, Mrs. Schneider treats us as adults and there is an equal respect throughout the class. Your opinion matters to your classmates and your teacher."Another theme is that when I do not practice a problem before putting it on the board and drag them through working it out, they often feel worn out and lost. I agree with them to a point and see this as one area in which I would like to grow--being more prepared for the tough material.
I notice a difference in the way some of us approached our student voice surveys: some of us asked FOR student voice ABOUT student voice; others of us just asked FOR student voice. Just an observation!
Interesting feedback! I love the picture of the note-taking on the board!
ReplyDeleteI think that surveying both for student voice and about student voice are important in our classrooms. We probably don't need to survey about student voice after every unit, but often enough to ensure that our perceptions of how well we're empowering students' voices in our classrooms are similar to our students' experiences.
Jo, you do a very good job of treating the AP students as adults. It is much easier to do this when the students behave that way. I agree that when I come in your room during my planning, the environment is very comfortable.
ReplyDelete