Friday, November 11, 2011

Buy-in

Who wants to sit in a "meeting" for an hour and a half on the day before a three day weekend? Twenty-two North Marion staff members, that's who. We talked, but most importantly, we listened, and this is what I heard.




  • Freshmen core teachers are building a foundation for their students.


  • Many teachers are ready to build on that foundation by trying new ideas in their classrooms: co-taught units, PBL, hands-on lessons, ...


  • Teachers need time. Time to plan, time to observe others, time for professional development.


  • Counselors need more personal contact with students.


  • Exactly what is happening in our building that is causing such a stir? Better communication is essential.


I will venture to say that no other school stayed at a voluntary "meeting" until after 3 o'clock yesterday. That's buy-in.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, and I think it's more than buy-in, too. I think it's willingness to work harder for no more pay when we think it will benefit our students--a work of <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Counselors need more personal time with students and with classrooms of students because our counselors are trained in dropout prevention.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.