Sunday, March 11, 2012
Student Voice - Survey
I chose to do the help/hinder survey with my Applied Geometry students. It took a little time to organize the information and figure out what they were trying to tell me. The positive about this survey is that it was quick and easy to present to the students. However, I can now see I need to go further with the survey. This type of survey produced one word answers from the students, but not a lot of depth. I am planning on taking some of their likes and dislikes and generating a more detailed and probing survey. Stay tuned!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your comments about the help hinder survey. Although it was quick and easy and provided good feedback, I wanted more information, so I did the other survey as well. Even with both surveys, I still have questions, but I know it is an ongoing process.
ReplyDeleteI think that using student voice is going to be so beneficial in lower level classes like Applied Geometry. These students usually have a poor attitude toward their math class and most often even with the school in general. Hopefully through using surveys and other activities with student voice we will be able to find that "magical tool" that is going to help us finally reach those students. I am hoping that as we take student voice more and more into account in our classrooms we can watch the excitement of learning multiply exponentially! ;)
ReplyDeleteI'll be interested to see where you go from here.
ReplyDeleteI think this is what the journaling section of the Curriculum Map is supposed to look like. Something doesn't give us the results we need, so we tweak it until we get to the good stuff. Survey questions don't provide the feedback we are looking for so we try something different. Hey, I think that's called learning. :)
ReplyDelete